Finding An Oral Surgeon – Tips to Get It Right
When it comes to choosing an oral surgeon, there are a few factors you should take into consideration, such as experience, training and referrals. Below we’ve listed a few specific things to keep in mind as you look around.
- Your Dentist’s Recommendation. Your dentist is probably your best resource for help on finding the right surgeon. Call up your dentist’s office for a referral.
- Your Friend’s Recommendation. While your friend may not be a dental professional, he or she may have a good sense of how particular surgeons handle their patients.
- Experience and Training. Ideally you’ll find a surgeon who has extensive training and experience in their field. Better yet, you’ll find one who has lots of experience performing your particular procedure.
- Professional Memberships. Find out if your surgeon is a member of any professional organizations. Does he or she have any accolades or awards?
- Practice Information. A good oral surgeon will also have a very good practice. You should look for an established oral surgery practice with a good reputation and professional atmosphere.
- Insurance and Payment Plans. You’ll also want to make sure your insurance will cover your treatment with that surgeon. If you don’t have insurance or your plan only covers part of the procedure, you should find out if there are financing options available.
- Customer Service Counts! There are a number of things that motivate people to choose one specialist over another (yes, people now have options). Many people are motivated to choose a particular doctor based on the way that they are treated by the staff when they call to make an inquiry. In other words, customer service counts! Health care consumers have demanded to be treated well by their providers. People want to go where they are most comfortable, listened to, understood and where the doctor and the staff take a personal interest in them both as a person and as a patient.
- Google It! Patients no longer blindly follow the referrals of their primary doctors. The internet provides a great way to research their own condition, find alternative specialists and provide more options to choose a specialist that they feel will meet their needs. Reasons a patient may choose one specialist over another include whether or not their insurance plan is accepted, how close the office is to their home or place of business, and whether or not they like the business office receptionist when they call. The office environment, friendliness of the staff and whether or not the office seems organized and efficient are all contributing factors in the decision making process for patients looking for a specialist.
The availability of information on the internet is a huge driving factor for patients when choosing a specialist. Most people now use the internet to find information they need about products or services. Medical and dental services are shopped for online more than through any other source. So what are people looking for when they ‘shop’ for an oral surgeon online?
- Research on their condition
- Researching their treatment options
- Comparing prices
- Assessing value
- Judging patient service and atmosphere
Check our directories to find the best oral surgeon in your area.